My Photo
Name:
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Yeah. I got nothin.

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Nobody Gonna Break Her Stride...Nobody Gonna Get Her Dressed

So Ma got The Kid some new dresses for her birthday. She wore one to daycare yesterday, and when I went to pick her up at the end of the day, The Kid was wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Went inside, got her dress, thinking that it'd been soaked in juice or something, but no, it was clean. Figured she must've just wanted to get changed, but no. She'd been flippin' up her skirt, over her head, showing off her body. So they made her change out of her brand-spankin' new dress that she'd just got the day before.
Come on, people, a pair of Dora the Explorer panties and an asexual little four year old body is so indecent you must not allow it to be seen in public? Don't go fucking with my daughter's body image!
Have you seen the way kids deal with being naked? They have this level of comfort with their own skin that the most hardened and practiced nudist will never relearn. If your ass is itchy, scratch it. If your belly's bloated out after feasting on a picnic dinner, take advantage of the oportunity, pick your belly button lint.
And you know what ruins that? People going around telling you that you oughta be ashamed, put some damn clothes on. Okay, there are situations where it's better manners to be clothed. I'm okay with that, hell, I generally dress myself every time I leave the house. And sometimes I even shut the curtains before stripping down when I get home. (Although I've gradually grown accustomed to the idea that no one ever looks up, the joys of highrise living.) But still, there is a difference between what constitutes good manners, and what is offensive, and worthy of punishment. Wearing clothing is good manners, in certain situations. Don't make it more than that. Certainly not with my daughter.

R: (tone of reproach used exclusively by those who care for children on those who have children) Yes, The Kid was showing her body again...
Me: (ain't gettin' no remorse from me) Yeah well, this is just a warm up. I'm taking The Kid to the gay pride parade this weekend, so good luck convincing her to stay dressed next week!

The Kid loves her body. Don't go fucking that up please, she has plenty of time to learn self-loathing later. Now fuck off.

2 Comments:

Blogger Boo! said...

I don't get why ECE trained staff would encourage a kid to be ashamed of her body by making her change clothes. She should have just encouraged her to keep her dress down instead of making her put on a completely new outfit. I think those are her issues coming through. Prude.

7/28/2005 1:22 PM  
Blogger Impulsivecompulsive said...

The idea of some fucked up creep checking out my daughter kinda preturbs me (obviously), but when it comes to in daycare, where she's serounded by other kids, that's a different matter. Heck, her daycare doesn't even do after school care, the oldest kid there is five.
For me, this whole thing has come at especially bad timing. The Kid has just taken up that old standby, "Ewww! He doesn't have a shirt on!" I don't want her embarrased about her own body, and I don't want her making derogatory comments about others bodies.

7/28/2005 1:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home